Thursday, January 7, 2010

An open letter to the cafes of Melbourne

Dear cafes of Melbourne,

I was hoping to discuss the subject of soy milk. Hasn't the Bonsoy crisis just been terrible? And all you wonderful cafes who purchase Bonsoy despite its extremely high cost, appeasing your bourgie soy-drinking customers, such as myself, are suffering. 

However the crisis shows no sign of ending. In fact,  just 20 minutes ago I enquired at one of you as to whether you knew when Bonsoy would be back, and you said you didn't know!

But here's the thing. I still want to drink nice espresso coffee. And I still don't want to drink it with dairy milk. 

In short, I appeal to you all, lovely cafes with your commitment to first-rate produce and products, to please for the love of God buy some other kind of soy milk. Just in the interim. I know your regular supplier probably doesn't have it. You may even have to send a staff member to the supermarket for it. But surely this is the kind of flexibility and innovation that small businesses thrive upon.  May I also add: For fuck's sake.


Love, Natasha

4 comments:

nat said...

You speak truth TL. This post almost makes me want to take back my declaration last weekend that, "if i hear one more inner-city-white-kid complain about the Bonsoy crisis again i'm moving to caroline springs".
but yes, just buy some milk from the store, cafe owners. I would also like to add, For fuck's sake!

Natasha said...

Solidarity! Thanks Nat.

Mel said...

"…so I said, 'I'll go later. I'll go later.' But when I got there, Bonsoy was gone. And when I asked them when Bonsoy was coming back, they said they didn't know."

Today I saw a dude making a coffee with Soy Milky, which has long been my favourite soy brand because it acknowledges in the name that it is not milk but only similar to it.

Natasha said...

Mel, I'm so glad you picked up on that reference!