Monday, June 15, 2009

My private power ballad playlist

Gutsy lady hits, to be wailed by me at opportune moments, in a particular order:


Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon
Heaven is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle
Piece of My Heart - Janice Joplin
Today I Sing the Blues - Aretha Franklin
Can't See My Way - Etta James
100 Days, 100 Nights - Sharon Jones

The first three tracks feature heavily in my karaoke selections (along with Alice Cooper's Poison, Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory, Michael Bolton's Love Is A Wonderful Thing and Queen's Don't Stop Me Now), while the list then verges towards the soul end of my musical tastes. If I were to meander further from the dubious 'power ballad' label, there'd be some Porgy and Bess and Sarah Vaughan lord knows what else.

The catharsis of wailing a power ballad with abandon is matched only by the tolerance of my good housemates and general acquaintance.

On Saturday afternoon I had the added bonus of a grand piano to writhe around on top of, a ridiculous pleasure that everyone should experience at least once in their lives*.

* Wear your good knickers if you plan to kick your legs. And be careful, those things are slippery!

4 comments:

Mel said...

I just got my iTunes Genius switched on and started a playlist with Bryan Adams 'Heaven' as the first song. (I've been known to sing along with this song lustily.)

Brilliantly, it decided to follow up with 'Can't Fight This Feeling' by REO Speedwagon. It's a genius all right!

nat said...

This puts me in the mood for kaaoke!

"* Wear your good knickers if you plan to kick your legs."
-were you wearing bad knickers, Natasha?

Natasha said...

Let's just say that I was wearing knickers, and leave it at that.

Probably, let's say 'phew' as well..

Natasha said...

P.S. Kaake? It sounds like Dutch for something vile you do with your body.